Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Mirror Time...

The two tools you need for earthly success are a mirror and the desire to be better.  Here is what I see when a mirror is in front of me....





I see me.  I am a guy who is overly critical of myself and never content in my actions, all the while being overly sarcastic in nature.  Yeah, pretty much a recipe for a type A personality.  I fail amazingly at humility; the need for control; being content for long; and shutting my mind off.  If bored, my thoughts can be dangerous.  If happy, I will still want more.   If frustrated, stay clear.  Often times, the pursuit is better than the success and the thought outweighs the action.  I don't receive blessings very well, but I love to bless others.  I am gracious to others, but often hard on myself. Smiles are powerful, communication is key, and love always wins.  I love to do new things, meet new people, and firmly believe in the power of prayer and choice.  I can be relentless.  I can be apathetic.  But I recommend you to be careful in telling me that I can't do something because I just will.  A thank-you goes a long ways and a hug goes even further.  People tell me I am a good guy.  Sadly, my pauper nature only shows me how much more there is to improve upon.  I am working on this though.  I am learning this is not my identity in Christ.  I am still learning the ways of royalty.



I see a guy not motivated by money or material things; as both are just tools to this trade called life.  Yes, they are necessary; but no, they are not to be coveted.  I do however cherish my family.  I am a husband to one wife in mind, body, and spirit.  You mess with her, you deal with me.   Likewise, you mess with me, you deal with her.  Pretty simple.  She is truly amazing and I love her so very much.  She calls me Bunk'n.  I call her Love.  I am the father to five children.   Likewise again, you mess with them, you deal with us.  So just don't.  My kids are my opus.  I cannot think about not thinking about them and I would rather not try.  We are blessed.  We know this.  We live trying to remember this always.






I see a guy who has been through a lot.  Like many others, I have had a lot of pain in my life, but I have gotten up each time so I guess that is a good thing.   I fully know I did not do this alone either as I have an amazing group of loving family and friends.  I am also thankful for not having a hardened heart due to life's circumstances and my stupid choices.  Rude people anger me.  I just don't understand the need to be rude.  Selfish people also irritate me.  I don't trifle with people's hearts, so I expect the same in return.

I see a guy who looks back and sees the both good and bad instances in my life.  My old self would torch any bridge needing to be torched often due to ego.  Admittedly, I still smirk at some of those ashen ruins.  I may not burn bridges as much anymore, but I make sure to now erect some toll booths.  Pride is still my worst enemy as some ways die harder than others.  Yes, we are called to be strong, but it is never to be in our own strength.  My mouth used to get me in trouble more than it does now.  I am thankful for this maturity as well.  Those times were the words from an immature boy thinking he was more of a man.  I still have issues with authority because I don't get caught up in titles or power.  Again, I am working on this....

I see a guy who believes success is in the eyes of the content.  While I can definitely say my soul is content, I still know I am not done yet.  I look forward to our kiddos growing up,  spreading their wings, and changing the world.  I also look forward to growing old with my Love.  The air still leaves the room when she enters it and her touch still makes me swoon.  I desire to dream more and achieve more because that's just who I am.  Kneeled in front of the cross is where I always want to be.  I hope to bring more people there with me.




In the end, I see a guy who smiles when he looks in the mirror.  Perhaps that isn't success for you, but I know it is for me.  Who knows what tomorrow will bring, but I do know who brings it... and to Christ goes all the glory.



No comments:

Post a Comment